Acorn Bread

Well it is autumn - a lovely season.

After seeing an article on Auckland Foragers - where they made acorn bread - I've decided to make some as well.

First of all you have to peel the acorns - and then boil to get rid of excess tanin - of which there is heaps! I simmered the acorns for about 80 minutes - refreshing the water a couple of times.

Once cooked I drained and mashed - which was a bit of an effort.

Then I mized with a tablespoon of yeast, a tablespoon of sugar or so, a wack of butter, some salt and warm water.

Then i kneaded for 10 minutes - leaving for 60 minutes for the yeast to do its thing.

Then into the oven at 280 for an hour.

The result?

Well hmmm actually not my favorite!

If you want to make a great bread I'd suggest using great stone ground flour instead.


Comments